Below is a time line of events major events for the Dwarfs.
History of The DwarfsEdit
The time line lists general dates of major events according to the Imperial Calendar. The names of the ages of creation are credited to the Lizardmen from their source book. Whenever the date of an event is unknown, but it is understood to have happened after the given year, it will be listed as a subset of the given year.
Because of the nature of the Dwarfs, and the longevity of their civilized empires, a timeline chronicling the history of the race is easily the most complete available. This is due mainly to the detailed accounts in the Great Book of Grudges.
The Dawn of CreationEdit
- -10,000 The Old Ones experiment, bending primordial races to new and different shapes. Elves, Dwarfs, and Humans are created.
- -5,600 to -4,500 The Dwarfs settle in the World's Edge Mountains.
The Age of RecoveryEdit
- -4419 Malekith and Snorri Whitebeard, High King of the Dwarfs, combine their armies to drive Chaos from the Old World.
- -2005 Malekith sends Dark Elf warriors to harass Dwarf caravans, stealing gold and killing indiscriminately. Tensions rise between the Dwarfs and the High Elves (who are framed for the incident).
- -2000 Ancient texts from Zlatlan speak of strife with the lost Dwarf stronghold of Karak Zorn.
- -1999 High King Gotrek Starbreaker send ambassadors to Ulthuan in attempt to secure peace between the Elves and Dwarfs. When they ask for fair recompense for the damage the Elves supposedly caused, they are expelled and their beards are shorn. The War of the Beard formally begins.
- -1950 Dwarfs settle in Kavzar, creating an under-city, and helping the humans build their over-city.
- -1880 Construction begins on the great Temple of Kavzar.
- -1780 The Temple of Kavzar is completed except for single stone. Warpstone rains down on the city, and it is overrun by giant mutated rats.
- -1600 Phoenix King Caledor II is killed by High King Gotrek Starbreaker at the 14th siege of Tor Alessi (The Battle of the Three Towers) to bring the War of the Beard to an end.
- -1500 The Slann make a minor shift in the world's plates assumed to be in accordance with the Old One's wishes. The World's Edge Mountains are torn apart by the resulting earthquakes.
- The changes in the World's Edge Mountains are known as the Time of Woes for the Dwarfs. Many records created in strongholds are lost and interrupted. The Great Book of Grudges in Karaz-a-Karak falls silent.
- Karak Ankor is shattered as many Dwarf settlements and strongholds are destroyed. The great Underway is blocked or destroyed in places, cutting off several Dwarf strongholds from each other.
- The first fortress to fall to the oncoming hordes of Orcs, Goblins, Skaven, Trolls and Ogres is Karak Ungor. It is taken by Night Goblins and is from then onwards known as Red Eye Mountain. The period following this is known as the Goblin Wars.
- -1499 Karak Varn falls to the Skaven and Night Goblins.
- -1498 The mines of Ekrund are seized by the Orcs after heavy fighting with the Dragonback Dwarfs.
- The watch towers of Mad Dog Pass are gradually abandoned and seized by the Goblins.
- -1497 The Night Goblins seize the gold mines of Mount Gunbad, the largest mine in the World's Edge Mountains, as well as a major source for Brightstone.
The Age of StrifeEdit
- -1387 The Silver Road Wars begin between the Dwarfs and Goblins.
- -1367 The Dwarf stronghold of Mount Silverspire is taken by the Orc Warlord Urk Grimfang who further fortifies the mine, renaming it Mount Grimfang. This marks the end of The Silver Road Wars.
- -1362 The Dwarfs withdraw from their eastern empire in the World's Edge Mountains, including their mines and smaller settlements.
- -1250 Thunder Mountain erupts, forcing Orcs, Goblins and Trolls towards the north. The Troll Wars begin for the Dwarfs.
- The Dwarf strongholds of Valhorn and Budrikhorn fall to rampaging Trolls.
- -1245 Dwarf King Morgrim Blackbeard leads his forces to the south and pushes the Orcs out of the World's Edge Mountains to the north of Mad Dog Pass.
- Logazor Brightaxe leads an army east and retakes Mount Gunbad, but has to abandon the mines.
- Mount Silverspire is unsuccessfully attacked when Trolls and Ogres move against Karaz-a-Karak.
- For the next 250 years, the Dwarfs set out to consolidate their holdings in the mountain chain, reopening mines previously lost.
- -1185 Runesmith Kadrin Redmane clears the ruins of Karak Varn of the Skaven and resettles the Stronghold due to the discovery of a rich vein of gromril.
- -975 The Battle of a Thousand Woes. King Skorri Morgrimson leads a huge Dwarf army north to attempt to recapture Karak Ungor. They are partially successful but ambushed as they attempt to enter the Keep itself. Skorri leads his forces back to Karaz-a-Karak and dies shortly after. Little information about the Greenskins is recorded for the next few hundred years.
- -750 The Red Cloud Goblin tribe attacks Karak Azgul and is repelled. They then move on to Karak Azul, partially capturing the hold for 10 years. Eventually they are expelled from the fortress.
- -650 The first Slayer King, Baragor, dedicates the Great Shrine of Grimnir in Karak Kadrin. He then takes the name of Ungrim, which all of his descendants bear to this day.
- -617 King Alkharad wages war against the Greenskins in what will become known as the War of Bones.
- -513 Over the course of 100 years, Karak Eight Peaks eventually falls as each of the eight mountains are gradually overrun by Goblins and Skaven. Eventually the Skaven poison the wells and use toxic gasses to oust the Dwarfs. King Lunn orders the tombs of the Kings of Old rune-sealed, vowing to return in the future.
- -469 Karak Azgal is attacked and destroyed by Orcs and Goblins who then move on to take Karak Drazh, renaming it Black Crag. The lands between the Mad Dog Pass and Fire Mountain are taken by the Goblins, save for the stronghold of Karak Azul.
- -420 The Dwarfs first discover gun powder on the body of a Skaven, realizing the Skaven are beginning to use their own weapons against them.
- -380 Ork Warlord Ugrok Beardburner lead a Waaagh! northwards to Karaz-a-Karak. Many small settlements are destroyed, mines overwhelmed, and hundreds of Dwarfs die.
- The Dwarf High King Logan Proudbeard is captured and humiliated by the Orcs spurring the Dwarfs under Gorazin Silverhorn into a furious assault, driving the Orcs away from the capital. Orc armies continue to rampage until they are defeated at the Battle of Black Water.
- -250 Dwarfs intensify trade with the Human civilizations which are slowly forming into the Empire.
- -15 A trading convoy led by King Kurgan Ironbeard is captured by the Skaven, who then sell him to Orcs for warpstone. However, the king is rescued by Sigmar. Ironbeard rewards Sigmar by giving him the Rune Hammer Ghal Maraz, paving the way for a great alliance.
- -1 The Battle of Black Fire Pass. A massive Orc army is destroyed by a combined army of Dwarfs and Humans under Sigmar.
- The Orcs and Goblins are slowly driven from the areas west of the World's Edge Mountains.
- Many Dwarfs move into human lands, helping them build cities and introducing them to new technologies.
- Orcs and Goblins are kept at bay by Dwarf and Human armies. Several attempts to retake strongholds are launched but fail.
- 287 Dwarfs discover the nest of the dragon Mordrak in the mountains south of Karak Azul.
- 657 Thori Gundrikson discovers gromril in the caves west of Black Water. The Skaven eventually overrun the mines, but not before the gromril is exhausted.
- 685 Dorin Heldour brings the skin of the dragon Fyrskar to King Finn Sourscowl. Heganbor the Runesmith forges it into a cloak engraved with mighty runes.
- 1111 The Black Death sweeps throughout the Old World. The Dwarfs shut off the outside world to protect themselves but the Skaven burrow in, engaging the Dwarfs in drawn out conflicts.
- 2010 The Dwarfs fight alongside the Humans in the War of the Vampire Counts, including the Night Siege of Castle Tempelhof, the defeat of the Vampire Countess Emmanuelle, and the Battle of Hunger Wood.
- 2205 The Battle of Black Falls. Dwarfs and Goblins meet at the shores of the Black Water. Both the Dwarf High King Alrik and the Goblin Warlord Gorkil Eyegouger are killed. The Goblin mortally wounded by the Dwarf, drags Alrik with him over the falls. The Goblin army is routed and follow their Warlord.
- 2302 The Great War Against Chaos, also known as The Second Great Chaos Incursion.
- Karaz-a-Karak is attacked.
- Chaos lays siege to Kislev, but is eventually repelled by a combined force of Elves, Dwarfs, and Humans led by Magnus the Pious. This marks the end of the war
- 2420 Goblin Warlord Grom destroys many Dwarf tombs, mines, and small settlements before defeating a Dwarf army at the Battle of Iron Gate.
- 2473 Belegar, descendent of King Lunn, declares himself King of Karak Eight Peaks and sets up camp on the site of the old citadel. The Dwarfs descend into the Keep but are outnumbered and become stuck in a permanent siege with the Orcs.
- 2498 The Battle of the Jaws. A Dwarf army heads south to reinforce Karak Eight Peaks. The leader, Duregar, defeats the Orcs and moves south, before being ambushed again at the Battle of the East Gate.
The Age of RecompenceEdit
- 2500 Orc Warlord Gnashrak forms a massive WAAAGH!, uniting all the Greenskin tribes of the World's Edge Mountains, and leading the army a long the Silver Road towards Karaz-A-Karak.
- 2503 - 2507 Karak Azul is attacked by Orcs under Gorfang Rotgut, entering by a long forgotten tunnel. The King, Kazador, is captured in his throne room and many are dragged off to the Black Crag dungeons. Kariz, the kings son, is shaven and nailed to his fathers throne in insult to the king.
- 2510 The Orc Warlord Gnashrak is finally defeated by King Ungrim of Karak Kadrin at the Battle of Broken Leg Gulley.
- 2519 The Battle of a Hundred Cannons. A large Goblin horde attacks Zhufbar and a relief force marches from Karaz-a-Karak.
- Armies from Karaz-a-Karak, Karak Kadrin and Zhufbar unite under High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer and battle as the Ogres try to cross the River Aver.
- An army from Nuln arrives and aid the Dwarfs by surrounding and destroying the Ogres using the largest concentration of artillery ever seen in the Old World.
- 2523 Thorgrim Grudgebearer commands King Alrik Ranulfsson to clear the Silver Road and attack Mount Gunbad. This is done easily as many Orcs had rallied to the banner of Grimgor Ironhide.
- Warhammer Armies : Lizardmen, Games Workshop, 2003
- Warhammer Armies : Dwarves, Games Workshop, 2000
- Warhammer Armies : Tomb Kings, Games Workshop, 2002
- Warhammer Armies : Kislev, Games Workshop, 2003
- Warhammer Armies : Beasts of Chaos, Games Workshop, 2003
- Warhammer Armies : High Elves, Games Workshop, 1993
- The Life of Sigmar, Games Workshop, 2000
- Children of the Horned Rat, Black Industries & BL Publishing, 2006