Slaanesh, the Dark Prince, is the Chaos God of Twisted Pleasure, Perverted Passion, Excess, Lust, and Pain. Within the Realm of Chaos his domain is that of all mortal sin, especially those of the flesh. Lust, pride and self-indulgence are the hallmarks of all that follow him. He is commonly known in the Empire of Man as the Prince of Pleasure and even the Prince of Chaos. He is the youngest of the Chaos Gods. While generally referred to as a "he" by humans, Slaanesh is actually neither gender, combining characteristics of both and perfecting them. Slaanesh typically appears in an androgynous form in which it is a woman on the right side and a man on the left with two sets of devilish horns growing from its head. Slaanesh can assume any form; male, female, hermaphrodite or sexless, but it prefers male bodies. Its number is six and the colours associated with Slaanesh are purple, pink and black. The name Slaanesh is a corruption of the Elven term Slaaneth (Slaa meaning "ecstasy" or "pleasure" and Neth meaning "lord" or "prince"; hence, the Prince of Pleasure).
While Khorne is a frightful and terrible warrior, Tzeentch's magic forces his form to defy mortal logic, and Nurgle is the ultimate embodiment of his own decaying creations, Slaanesh alone is divinely beautiful. In physical form, Slaanesh is perfection. A long-limbed, elegant, androgynous figure with a haunting, almost frightening beauty. Slaanesh's appearance depends more on the observer than the observed, changing eagerly to please and seduce the eye of the beholder. Rumor amongst Slaaneshi cultists has it that to look upon Slaanesh is to forfeit your very soul to his every whim.
Cult of SlaaneshEdit
Seductive in the way that only an immortal being can be, Slaanesh is the Chaos God of pleasure, passion, luxury, art and indulgence. He is the manifestation of all hidden vices, cruel passions, and secret temptations that men hide fearfully in their hearts. This abject lack of restraint, and pursuit of pleasures, lures many mortals to his side, often gathering in places of carnal pleasure to pay homage and praise to their depraved Lord. A notable Slaaneshi cult in the Warhammer World is the Elven Cult of Pleasure which partly caused the Sundering of Ulthuan and the birth of the Dark Elven culture, and it is still popular among the people of Naggaroth today. In Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, a prominent cultist of Slaanesh is Lady Anhilda Kreuger in Talabecland. Slaanesh's followers seek pleasure in every experience, and quickly become inured to more mundane things, including sounds and colours; thus they frequently wear garish, brightly coloured armour, or clothing which is extravagantly decorated. Worshippers of Slaanesh are known for their complete lack of fear, as they see losing a battle as a new experience to be enjoyed. While not interested in the dirty warfare of Khorne's narrow-minded berserkers, Slaanesh does enjoy combat of the artistic sort, taking pleasure in watching extremely talented gladiator battles, where the act of fighting is transformed from a means to an end into an art form all its own. Slaanesh bestows his favour upon any who act on an interest for an art, whether the art is that of combat, of painting, of poetry or of passion. The favour of Slaanesh will aid the artist in creating, amplifying everything created to immeasurable levels, while at the same time corrupting them indescribably, such that any mortals who look on them are at once both entranced and terrified.
Being the youngest of the Chaos Lords, the host of Slaanesh still pales in comparison to those of the others. But the numbers of Slaaneshi daemons grow with every passing moment and they are not to be taken lightly.
- Daemonettes are feminine-looking creatures whose seductive bodies are a frightening contrast with their grotesque claws. They are lightning quick, and fearful foes in hand-to-hand combat.
- Steeds of Slaanesh are bipedal smooth-skinned creatures with prehensile tongues, vaguely resembling seahorses. Their heads have long tubular snouts that contained their prehensile, poisonous tongue. These are the favored means of transportation for Slaanesh's chosen.
- Fiend of Slaanesh is a bizarre daemon, a hybrid creature that combines reptilian, insectoid and anthropomorphic characteristics. It has a segmented body, a tail covered in fine scales and two pairs of humanoid legs that end in cloven hooves. Each Fiend also has a pair of claw-tipped and gangly arms that it commonly uses as front legs. A Fiend has not the necessary intelligence to apply these arms as grasping appendages, although it can employ them as weapons to deadly effect.
- Keeper of Secrets, the Greater Daemons of Slaanesh, are huge and indescribable creatures whose very presence is capable of bringing the bravest warrior to his knees in anguish and ecstasy. They typically have four arms- two which end with human-like hands, and two which end with large crab-like claws. A Keeper of Secrets is a very powerful foe in close combat.
- The Masque of Slaanesh, once the most favoured of the deamonettes, had an unfortunate case of misunderstanding with Slaanesh. It was in this very moment that her life was to change. She was cursed to forever dance unable to rest her weary limbs.
Slaanesh has a neutral attitude to many of the other Gods of Chaos, and is generally too caught up in his/her own pleasures to be interested in alliances and co-operation. However, Slaanesh is opposed by the Chaos God Khorne. Slaanesh seeks to act inwardly by enjoying every experience and every act, even killing others, whereas Khorne only seeks to act outwardly by killing others and reveling in bloodshed. Khorne is also said to detest Slaanesh's decadence, while Slaanesh sees Khorne as crude and unsophisticated. This relationship has an effect upon the nature of the armies dedicated to either God. While he/she is the youngest of the major Chaos Gods, Slaanesh is still a crucial player in the incomprehensible game that they play. Although he/she cannot yet hold his/her own against any one other Chaos God, his/her support in an alliance is often enough to swing the balance, allowing Slaanesh considerably more influence than his/her absolute power would otherwise allow.
|The Gods of Chaos|
|Khorne • Nurgle • Slaanesh • Tzeentch|