Archived news items from 2006 Edit
News - Warherald.com - Wednesday, December 20, 2006 Edit
(If you don't know what I'm talking about, wait until you get your copy of the December newsletter, and check out Paul's video blog.)
If you are entering Paul's beta contest, please note! The method of entering the contest has not yet been revealed! You'll have to stay tuned for the next installment of the newsletter, or perhaps an interview, or even another post here on this website, to find out. So, if you've got a guess, keep it close to your vest, and please... don't email me or Richard.
News - Warherald.com - Tuesday, December 5, 2006 Edit
Far be it from me to suggest that the internet can influence the outcome of an election. But what the heck: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm?loadFeature=505&bhcp=1
News - Warherald.com - Sunday, November 19, 2006 Edit
Just FYI, the Vault finally got their WAR site into action. Some great Paul videos, a wonderful history section, and more: http://warhammervault.ign.com
News - Warherald.com - Tuesday, November 14, 2006 Edit
Here they are folks, the top ten entries in the Screenshot Scavenger Hunt contest.
They are listed below, including where they're from, how many they got right, when they submitted their entry and what prize they won.
And as an added bonus, I've decided to send a poster to everyone who entered! Consider this just a little extra incentive to enter next time.
[see the WarHerald for the list of winners]
Thanks again to everyone who entered and congratulations to everyone who won!
News - Warherald.com - Friday, November 10, 2006 Edit
Originally posted 7/14/06
Here are some handy definitions of what the different phases of beta are. I also provide, for the first time, some extremely vague and tentative dates. Some of you have already won betas, and to spare you the whole "having to read" thing, you are listed as "Early Spring 2007." In theory and indeed in schedule, it may be sooner than that - but I am a bitter, cranky, old community weenie who has been through many betas, and I no longer believe in anything I can't grasp in my withered talons.
EDITED, THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 9th, 2006. Clarifications, mostly, but one fairly giant change relating to my not totally understanding the implications of us becoming EA Mythic. All of my dates are still listed as they were on 7/14/06.
Alpha: What began in July. I made the grievous error of calling it a very early beta, for which I am terminally sorry. I will regret that until I die. Alpha does not have anyone playing who does not draw a paycheck from Mythic.
Double Secret Beta: What we will be in "Soon, TM." That is just beyond alpha, and includes people who draw paychecks from Mythic and selected partners. STARTS: Summer 2006
First Stage of Closed Beta (Beta 1): What we are in now. Sometimes called "Friends and Family," somewhat inaccurately, this is a stage where there is actually a game, but it is not usually very complete or even stable for that matter.
People who don't work here are in this stage, but usually fewer than a hundred, and they are nearly all such old, old friends that they are often mistaken for employees. STARTS: Fall 2006
EDITED TO ADD, 11/9/06: Tragically, when I originally wrote this document in mid-July '06, I was still learning the EA ropes. I defined "First Closed" with the old Mythic way, because we were a pretty small company. Now, with thousands of employees around the world, this phase of beta is "EA Employee Only." Double Secret Beta is EA Mythic Studio Only. In this first closed phase, we begin including people outside our studio, but bound by the employee NDA.
Beta 1.7, After Things Stop Going Boom Every Day: This is the stage you'll start seeing community testers. People who have tested for Mythic for years, or have been otherwise recommended to us as quality volunteer testers, are starting to be included. There is usually a restriction on how many people get in at this point, and often perfectly wonderful people are left out. STARTS: TENTATIVE DATE: Early 2007
Beta 2: Still closed and covered under NDA, invitees include prize winners, guilds that win the guild contest, and some members of the print and web media - usually the ones we have relationships with. People who work at GW retail shops are getting in here, and we've got some plans for existing Dark Age of Camelot players to be invited to check out their new sibling. There will be up to a thousand people by the end of Beta 2. STARTS: TENTATIVE DATE: Early Spring 2007
Beta 3: Closed, NDA. This is where Lady Luck will wave her wand. We will be choosing randomly from the giant pool of people who are subscribed to our newsletter. This phase will have thousands of people invited, possibly as many as ten thousand. STARTS: TENTATIVE DATE: Summer 2007
Final Beta: No NDA. Because there is no NDA, people often refer to this as "open beta." But I wanted to be really clear with you guys - we are not planning the kind of open beta where everyone with internet access can download the game and hop in. That's nutty. Right now, we are tentatively considering having everyone who pre-orders the game invited to this phase of beta. This phase will also invite winners from our big media promotions. STARTS: TENTATIVE DATE: Summer 2007
News - Warherald.com - Wednesday, November 8, 2006 Edit
Hey, and as you can see, the Herald has been totally redesigned. Hope you enjoy it. Check out Legends and Lore :)
News - Warherald.com - Wednesday, November 8, 2006 Edit
The newsletter signup page is messed up, over at the official site. I'll post here when it's fixed.
Spread the word to your friends - when stuff isn't working right, your Herald is here to tell you why. Get in the habit now, and beat the rush.
EDIT: WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 8: Back online; thanks for hanging in there.
News - Warherald.com - Wednesday, November 8, 2006 Edit
It’s time for another Herald Contest! This month I have scoured the web for screenshots on the various fansites. In those screenshots I found items and cropped around that item. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to search the screenshot galleries of the various WAR related websites around the web to find the screenshots I cropped the images below from.
Read on for the full rules and the list of items:
- To enter, you must email me a list of numbered links where the number of the link corresponds to the number of the item below.
- Emails must have the subject: WAR Screenshot Scavenger Hunt.
- Email your submission to me at: Richard AT mythic.ea.com.
- You must include your real name and mailing address in your submission email.
- Please limit yourself to one entry email. If I receive multiple emails from the same person I will only judge the one with the earliest time-stamp. So make sure you check your answers before submitting them!
- Most of the screenshots we have released are posted on many different websites out there. For that reason you don’t have to find the exact site I got the image from, but it does have to be the exact same screenshot. The same object in a different screenshot will not count.
- Please don’t post the answers or spoilers anywhere, I’d like this to be as fun and fair to as many people as possible. Thanks in advance!
- The first TEN entrants who submit all 50 links correctly will win a prize as described below.
- If there aren’t ten people who get all 50 items correct, the remaining winners will be selected based on who got the most correct out of the 50 possible.
- Ties will be broken based on the time-stamp of your email.
- The contest will run from today, November 8th, until Monday, November 13th at 12:00pm EDT, or when I have ten people who have gotten all 50 correct, whichever comes first.
- Winners will be posted here on the Herald on Tuesday, November 14th.
- 1st Place: 1 Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning T-Shirt (Red with Black trim, Size XL) & 1 WAR Poster.
- 2nd Place: 1 Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Lanyard & 1 WAR Poster.
- 3rd – 10th Place: 1 Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Poster each.
[see the WarHerald for the screenshots]
Thanks in advance for participating and good luck to all!
News - Warherald.com - Tuesday, October 31, 2006 Edit
In a creepy kinda way… But hey! It is Halloween after all, so creepy is good! The Miniatures Wargaming Union sent in this incredible Paul o’ Lantern and we decided to share it with all of you:
[See official site for image]
And I thought my pumpkin carving skills were good, but I’ve got nothing on these folks!
A huge thanks going out to the MWU and Happy Halloween to all of you from everyone here at Mythic!
News - Warherald.com - Wednesday, October 25, 2006 Edit
There are some wonderful legends sent by you, the players, finally posted to the Legends and Lore section. Go, read and vote. Only you can make the very best float to the top of the ratings.
Incidentally, we've got at least forty more coming soon, so if your tale isn't up there, give us another week.
News - Warherald.com - Tuesday, October 10, 2006 Edit
Will be announced shortly!
Sorry for the delay, I'm just waiting to hear back from a couple of them. Once they get back to me with their info I'll have the list up for you!
EDIT: 2:50PM EDT, October 10, 2006: And here they all are folks! Thank you again to everyone who sent in entries. Sanya and I had a blast judging them, and we can't wait until the next contest!
And now, without any further ado, your ten winners in no particular order:
- Adam Fulton,Woodbridge, VA, USA
- Brian Lah, Denver, CO, USA
- Cheryl Frappier, Hamilton, ON, Canada
- Dave Horvath, Bunker Hill, WV, USA
- David Park, Hebburn, England
- Daniel Tuchenhagen, Munchen, Germany
- Elwin Collins, Woodbine, GA, USA
- Ilya Bossov, Ashburnham, MA, USA
- Ryan Mitchell, Yorba Linda, CA, USA
- Josh Arnold, Live Oak, TX, USA
Again, a big hand for all the winners and thanks to everyone who entered. Stay tuned here for more contests in the future!
News - Warherald.com - Wednesday, September 27, 2006 Edit
Screenshot Caption Comedy!
Come up with the funniest caption you can for any (or all) of the screenshots below. It can be either just a funny description of the screenshot itself, or something one of the characters in the screenshot is saying. You can either photoshop the caption into the image, or just email me your caption, just be sure to include which screenshot it is referring to.
Click below to read the full rules and see the images!
- Please email your captions to: Richard AT mythic.ea.com.
- Please use the Subject: WAR Screenshot Caption Contest.
- You can only win once, even if you submit a caption for more than one screenshot.
- Contest will end at 5:00 PM EDT on Wednesday, October 4, 2006.
- Me and Sanya will choose the 10 best entries and the winners will each receive a WAR poster.
- Winners will be announced on Monday, October 9, 2006.
- Screenshot 1: http://www.warherald.com/uploads/images/Caption_Contest1.jpg
- Screenshot 2: http://www.warherald.com/uploads/images/Caption_Contest2.jpg
- Screenshot 3: http://www.warherald.com/uploads/images/Caption_Contest3.jpg
Enjoy! And good luck to everyone!
News - Warherald.com - Friday, September 15, 2006 Edit
If ever y'all find a story in our Legends and Lore section that you can prove is stolen, please email either me or Richard with backup links right away. We on the Herald team are giant nerds and have read much in the way of science fiction and fantasy, but not everything ever published. But between us and all of you, we HAVE read everything, right?
Me - sanya AT mythic.ea.com
Richard - Richard AT mythic.ea.com
TECHNICALLY, the Legends and Lore section isn't launched yet, so you haven't seen an official announcement. But there are stories there and more will be posting over the next few days.
News - Warherald.com - Friday, September 8, 2006 Edit
I keep getting these weird emails, asking if it's true that anyone associated with a website using a bad domain name will be banned from Warhammer.
That would be stupid, if it were true. Good thing it's not true.
Customer service bans from any EA Mythic game are related to in-game actions. What you do out of the game has nothing to do with your in game account. Also, I feel like I should mention that it's September 2006. The earliest you could possibly be banned from Warhammer is more than a year from now. Relaaaaaaaaaaaaaax.
News - Warherald.com - Tuesday, September 5, 2006 Edit
A player wrote in to remind me - there's no easy way to see the Warhammer Grab Bag Archives. That feature isn't yet enabled here on the Herald, so here's an old-fashioned "link list" like the dinosaurs used back when the internet was born:
May: (E3 - everything I knew, I was talking about at the show)
News - Warhammeronline.com - Wednesday, August 16, 2006 Edit
EA Mythic today released the final chapter of the cinematic trailer for their upcoming massively-multiplayer online role playing game, Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning™ (WAR). The new footage debuts warriors from the Empire and Chaos armies locked in mortal combat on the field of battle.
Created by Venice, CA based Blur Studio, the final chapter of the trailer features a hammer wielding Warrior Priest of Sigmar and a heavily armored Chaos Warrior engaged in a climactic fight to the death. Undersized and overmatched, the Warrior Priest will need more than just divine intervention from his patron deity, Sigmar, to survive the bludgeoning onslaught of the Chaos Warrior’s spiked mace and axe. The struggle between these two combatants perfectly illustrates WAR’s bloody strife between the armies of Order and Destruction.