For information on the title of the same name, see Emperor (title).
The Emperor is the ruler of The Empire in the Old World, the position is not hereditary and the Emperor is elected by the Elector Counts. There have been many Emperors in the Empire's 2500 year history. In chronological order, some of the Emperors have been:
- Sigmar Heldenhammer, the founder of the Empire, who united several warring tribes under one banner and was crowned in 0 IC by the High Priest of Ulric. Sigmar reigned for 50 years before departing towards Karaz-a-Karak to return Ghal Maraz to the Dwarfs. He is now the patron deity of the Empire, and has been since around 100 IC.
- Ludwig the Fat of Drakwald, who granted Electoral Votes to the Grand Theogonist of the Cult of Sigmar, and created the Grand County of Mootland for the Halflings, making his personal Halfling chef the Elder of the Moot and an Elector.
- Mandred the Ratslayer of Middenheim, who defeated a large Skaven army while the Elector Count of Middenland. Crowned around 1100 IC.
- Frederik III, Emperor around mid-1400 IC, during the Great Crusade Against Araby.
- Magnus the Pious, who led the Empire out of division to defeat the Chaos horde of Asavar Kul. Crowned in 2304 IC, shortly after his victory against the forces of Chaos in Kislev.
- Deiter IV, abdicated in the wake of Marienburg's succession from the Empire.
- Wilhelm Holswig-Schliestein, the first of the current Princes of Altdorf to reign as Emperor, and the ancestor of Karl Franz. Crowned in 2429 IC, after the abdication of Emperor Dieter IV.
- Matthias II, the Grandfather of Karl Franz, attempted to establish a national constitution for the Empire, and succeeded in creating a parliament for Reikland.
- Karl Franz, more properly Karl-Franz Holswig-Schleistein the current Emperor, latest in a line of Reikland Emperors.